[chimerax-users] How to access ChimeraX remotely from macbook (OS mojave)?

Tom Goddard goddard at sonic.net
Thu Jul 22 17:32:14 PDT 2021

Hi Rayees,

I guess you have X Windows (XQuartz) running on your Mac and are hoping that X remote display from Linux to the Mac will work with ChimeraX.  Unfortunately X Windows remote display of 3D OpenGL graphics has not worked reliably since the days Silicon Graphics computers in the 1990s.  It is possible to get it to work between two Linux machines with identical OpenGL drivers.  But it would be a near miracle if the XQuartz implementation of X Windows on Mac could handle the OpenGL from a Linux machine.

The sensible approach is to run ChimeraX directly on your MacBook Pro.  We don't recommend remote display even when it works because rendering speed is likely to be poor.

	Tom