[Chimera-users] Box-beam protein sculptures

Tom Goddard goddard at sonic.net
Wed Jul 18 18:19:04 PDT 2012

Hi Dan,

   I added the "shape boxpath" command to Chimera to display box-beam
protein backbones and output cut distances for making your physical models.

http://collegenews.org/faculty-focus/2011/welding-art-and-science.html

I've attached an example picture and command script that made that
picture.  More details, for example, how to get the cut distances is
given in the Chimera feature/bug database:

     http://plato.cgl.ucsf.edu/trac/chimera/ticket/11191#comment:1

I have not tested the output cut distances so you should do some sanity
checks with simple test cases before you trust those numbers.  If you
are curious about the code it is here

http://plato.cgl.ucsf.edu/trac/chimera/browser/trunk/libs/Shape/boxpath.py

The new command will be in tonight's Chimera daily builds.

   Here's a weird connection.  These sculptural box beams may help
display large molecules on cell phones!  Cell phones have slow 3-d
graphics and this square cross-section depiction would place minimal
computational demands on the phone.  Typical depictions with spheres and
cylinders and smooth ribbons require a lot more computational power.

     Tom