[chimerax-users] Showing C-alphas

Elaine Meng meng at cgl.ucsf.edu
Fri Jul 30 14:03:00 PDT 2021

Hi Casey,
I assume you are also showing ribbons (cartoons).

By default, showing cartoons suppresses the display of the amino acid backbone atoms.  You can turn that off and allow showing both ribbon and backbone atoms at the same time with the "suppress false" option, for example:

cartoon suppress false

Then you can hide/show individual backbone atoms however you want regardless of the presence of ribbons.

However, the ribbon position in strands is smoothed so the CA may not be quite on the ribbon, and you will see a "tether"  drawn between its position and that of the ribbon.  Ways around it are to smooth strands less (also an option of the "cartoon" command) and/or to make the CA balls a little bigger so that they still overlap the ribbon.

These issues are explained in the "cartoon" (aka "ribbon") command help:
<https://rbvi.ucsf.edu/chimerax/docs/user/commands/cartoon.html>

... see options "smooth" and "suppressBackboneDisplay" ("suppress" for short).
I hope this helps,
Elaine
-----
Elaine C. Meng, Ph.D.