[chimerax-users] Hide dust tool & threshold of the map

Elaine Meng meng at cgl.ucsf.edu
Tue Jul 20 09:34:58 PDT 2021

Hi Dmitry,
The main answer is to use your own scientific judgment, as I'm not aware of specific guidelines or rules, and we do not "prescribe" a certain behavior.

However, it's worth mentioning that many very good papers mention using Chimera "hide dust" (same feature as in ChimeraX) ... here are a couple of recent open-access examples:

CM1-driven assembly and activation of yeast γ-tubulin small complex underlies microtubule nucleation.
Brilot AF, Lyon AS, Zelter A, Viswanath S, Maxwell A, MacCoss MJ, Muller EG, Sali A, Davis TN, Agard DA.
Elife. 2021 May 5;10:e65168.
<https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8099430/>

Cryo-EM structure of enteric adenovirus HAdV-F41 highlights structural variations among human adenoviruses.
Perez-Illana M, Martinez M, Condezo GN, Hernando-Perez M, Mangroo C, Brown M, Marabini R, San Martín C.
Sci Adv. 2021 Feb 24;7(9):eabd9421.
<https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/7/9/eabd9421>

I hope this helps,
Elaine