[chimerax-users] Using ChimeraX as a Python Library

James Loy jamesmadiganloy at gmail.com
Sat Jul 3 05:51:57 PDT 2021

Hello!

Thank you for creating such an amazing piece of software!

I'm trying to use portions of ChimeraX for part of a CIF file processing
pipeline. In order to automate the process, I'm building a docker image
that has ChimeraX installed. Ideally, we would like to use the pieces of
ChimeraX we need by importing the relevant python modules. Is this
possible? If so, must I build ChimeraX from source?

Additionally, I have tried several times to build v1.1.1 from source and I
have not been able to. I am always prompted for a password when trying to
rsync the dependencies:

/bin/sh -c 'rsync -a $1 .' -- plato.cgl.ucsf.edu:
/usr/local/projects/chimerax/www/data/prereqs/python/Python-3.7.8.tar.xz

user at plato.cgl.ucsf.edu's password:
In order to build from source, do I need to register somewhere to get
credentials?

Just to be clear, this CIF file processing pipeline is for academic (UT
Austin) use, not commercial.

Thanks in advance!
James
--