[chimerax-users] how to change the radius of loop

Elaine Meng meng at cgl.ucsf.edu
Fri Jul 2 07:57:46 PDT 2021

Hi Winston,
To change the thickness of cartoon loop (= coil, meaning protein non-helix, non-strand), use a command something like

cartoon style coil thickness 0.25

(where 0.25 could be some other number)

"cartoon style" command:
<https://rbvi.ucsf.edu/chimerax/docs/user/commands/cartoon.html#style>

secondary structure specifiers: helix, strand, coil
<https://rbvi.ucsf.edu/chimerax/docs/user/commands/atomspec.html#builtin>

As you saw, the "sides" option controls the number of facets in the cross-section.  So if you used "cartoon style sides 8" the ends of the tubes would be in the shape of an octagon.  Higher numbers give a smoother tube because the cross-section gets more like a smooth circle.

I hope this helps,
Elaine
-----
Elaine C. Meng, Ph.D.