[Chimera-users] Morphing surface

Elaine Meng meng at cgl.ucsf.edu
Wed Jan 5 16:25:44 PST 2011

Hi Sumitro,
If you use Morph Conformations on atomic structures, that creates a trajectory with a bunch of intermediate structures.  Then just show a surface on the trajectory model before playing it back.  There may be a message saying playback will be slow because it has to recalculate the surface at each step, but you can continue anyway.  Basically, it will just calculate a surface for each intermediate structure in the trajectory -- it is not exactly morphing the surface, but the result is similar and should be what you want.  One drawback is that if an intermediate structure is weird, the surface calculation might fail at that step. The test case I tried worked fine, however.
I hope this helps,
Elaine
-----
Elaine C. Meng, Ph.D.
UCSF Computer Graphics Lab (Chimera team) and Babbitt Lab
Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry
University of California, San Francisco