[chimera-dev] alias menu

Elaine Meng meng at cgl.ucsf.edu
Wed Feb 4 10:10:20 PST 2009

Dear Tim,
I see where you are coming from, but aliases are not necessarily
commands.  I use them all the time, but mainly to refer to some set of
residues, e.g.

alias refats #1:57.a,230.a,301.a
alias matchats #0:10.a,218.a,287.a
alias residues #0:8.a,10.a,164.a,218.a,287.a
alias showchain :.a
match matchats refats
~modeldisp #1
ribbon showchain
ribrepr smooth
disp residues
repr stick residues

(taken from real command files I used a couple of days ago)  One
purpose of aliases is to make a hard-to-type thing into an easy-to-
type thing, so perhaps it would help to make shorter aliases.  If it
is a matter of remembering what they are, the command "alias" without
any arguments will show all the aliases and their definitions in the
Reply Log.
Elaine C. Meng, Ph.D.                          meng at cgl.ucsf.edu
UCSF Computer Graphics Lab (Chimera team) and Babbitt Lab
Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry
University of California, San Francisco