[chimera-dev] Code source for Multi-touch

Gergely Nagy gergelynagy76 at gmail.com
Tue May 20 13:46:12 PDT 2008

Dear Chimera Dev Team,

I am referring to my email that I wrote in the beginning of April where I
told about our diploma work.
Just to sum it up in a couple of lines, we have a multi-touch screen (30")
and we would like to make Chimera work with it. We would like to work with
Chimera, because at the Center of Integrative Genomics at the University of
Lausanne and at the Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics people use this
software so this adaptation would even be useful besides that it would be
our diploma work.
So a couple of questions arise.
Would it be possible to have the entire source code? We are ready to sign an
NDA or any other contract if necessary. I am asking this because I am having
difficulties to imagine how we could make the changes without being able to
check how it works in the program. If there is a way to do it rapidly then
of course we won't need the entire code source.

The library that handles the touch events (touchDown, touchUpdate,
touchRemove) is written in C++ (would wrap it of course). It gives basically
the coordinates of the touches and updates the coordinates when dragging the
finger. So we would need to replace mouse events with those and make
zooming, translating and rotating functions available by using only the
fingers. We would also make a new menu bar with only a couple of functions
to be able to demonstrate the concept.

So please tell us what would be possible and what wouldn't so we can
evaluate the situation and make the right decisions immediately.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply.

Best regards,
Gergely Nagy
Marco Pambianchi