[chimera-dev] Error on command-line startup: OSX 10.5

Bernard Heymann Bernard_Heymann at nih.gov
Thu May 1 13:19:09 PDT 2008

When I start up Chimera from the command line under Leopard, I get a
lot of messages such as:

The process has forked and you cannot use this CoreFoundation
functionality safely. You MUST exec().
Break on
__THE_PROCESS_HAS_FORKED_AND_YOU_CANNOT_USE_THIS_COREFOUNDATION_FUNCTIONALITY___YOU_MUST_EXEC__
() to debug.

Chimera still runs, but I thought this is probably something to be
dealt with sooner than later. I did some digging and came across the
following technical note from Apple:
http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn2005/tn2083.html

The reference to the fork message is at the bottom of the page. I also
found on another site the following advice for an X11 application:

"I've updated the OSX Readme TclTk build example to include an extra
configure option:
--disable-corefoundation
Since the example is for an X11 TclTk build, CoreFoundation isn't
really necessary, so this is OK."

Because Chimera uses Tk, I thought this might be something to try to
avoid these error messages and possible instability down the line.

Bernard Heymann
Rm 1515, 50 South Dr, NIH, Bethesda, 20892-8025
Tel 301-451-8241, Fax 301-480-7629